One of the most crucial components for any generator is the battery. This vital part powers the generator and keeps it running during times of need. In essence, a battery provides us with the ability to keep machines and equipment running when there are no other outlets or power sources available.
Whether it’s for residential or commercial use, it’s hard to part with an old battery, especially when it still seems to be doing its job. However, performing generator battery maintenance by replacing the battery on a regular basis has its benefits.
This article explains why a generator battery replacement is important, along with knowing when it’s time to call for generator repair services. It also discusses how to maintain a generator battery’s performance, so it lasts for a very long time.
Benefits of Replacing a Generator Battery
Generator batteries need to be maintained for peak performance. A generator battery can last for years if it is properly cared for and correctly charged at all times.
After long periods of time, the generator will not charge the battery as effectively as it once did. This means that over time, the whole unit will take longer and longer to start up, or even worse — not start at all.
Here are a few benefits of regularly replacing a generator battery:
- Peace of mind: A generator battery in perfect condition is useful in power outages to keep home appliances and electronic devices running.
- Reduced waiting time: A faulty generator battery leads to a longer start-up time, and this delay can cause a great deal of inconvenience.
- Improved performance: A generator with a battery operating at peak function is well worth the investment especially during emergencies.
- Increased Safety: A defective battery can affect the generator’s wiring, along with its other components, which can be risky if left unchecked.
When to Replace Your Generator Battery
A standard generator battery replacement must be scheduled every two to three years. We’ve seen many customers attempt to prolong the life of their batteries and wait until the generator fails to start up. This is not the best time to replace a generator battery because the disruption it causes can do more harm than good in people’s lives.
A power failure can make workers lose important work being saved, or it can just as easily aggravate a patient’s condition when medical equipment stops running. These critical losses can all be easily attributed to not replacing a battery that’s long been expired.
There’s a reason why generator units are installed in the first place — because they can keep a home or business running, preventing such inconveniences. It can be a true hassle to be caught in a power emergency and have a generator that will not start, all because the battery replacement has been delayed.
How to Maintain a Generator Battery
To prolong a generator’s battery life and performance, it needs proper care and attention. Here are some tips on how to ensure generator battery maintenance for the home or office:
- Change the oil: At least once a month, check the oil level to keep the machine running efficiently. This reduces the strain on the battery.
- Clean it inside and out: The harder a generator works to produce energy, the more dirt it accumulates. Check the interior and exterior to prevent dust buildup and corrosion.
- Replace the filters: Putting new filters regularly optimizes air circulation. This better preserves battery life.
- Charge it before storing: When the generator needs to be stored for an extended period of time, it needs to be fully charged. This ensures it doesn’t take too long to start up when it needs to be used.
- Run it occasionally: Letting a generator sit for a long time in storage can take its toll on the battery. Run the unit for 10 minutes every two to three months.
Professional Battery Replacement Service
Following the maintenance tips above helps prolong a generator’s battery life, and you can even enhance its performance by relying on a generator maintenance service. Trust our experts to do regular checks on your unit, so you’ll get the most of your battery’s lifespan.
For professional generator services in Sarasota, FL, contact us at Florida Power Solutions to get a free estimate on your generator battery replacement!